Friday 30 July 2010

First year work

I was sorting out my portfolio from first year and thought I would photograph some of my favorite pieces of work i particular enjoyed working on.
This piece here of the door is the last project I did in uni. I had just picked to specialize in sculpture at this point and our project was about nature and what it meant to you. We were told to make a sculpture piece which would be placed in a wooded area called stewart's island. We were also told to look into bio-diversity and come up with a piece relating to this if we could. When beginning this project I decided to experiment with video and jotted down my thoughts and feelings when surrounded by nature. I began to notice I didn't particularly like being alone in this area and felt it was like entering a different world. With thorough development this is what my end piece was. I managed to get a very bland boring looking door, I then had two peepholes put into the door to look as though they were eyes. When looking through the peep holes you didn't see what you expected, your view was distorted and unclear.
For the body project My final piece were masks moulded from my face. I used plaster to cast the mould then using liquid latex on top. Each mask is different, the first mask has several layers of fake tan applyed on top of the latex mask, the second is painted with silver paint, The 3rd is a mixture of different coloured wax burned on top and the last one was how the latex mask looked like without the plaster cast. With this project I had been looking at the facial expressions we make when waking up and how these can be changed into something quite scary and creepy looking. Stelarc's robots were what influenced me with this work.

Here are some drawings I did in drawing weeks, some incomplete :(


For the place project I ended up producing a man made necklace out of newspaper and wire. This is something which I feel had great potential and I wish I could of expanded and developed this piece.

Here I have put together some of the sheets i did for the chair project. I didn't have an end piece for this project just lots of research and development. We were basically given a chair to reconstruct and then put back together then throughout this we got given a space in the uni where we had to come up with ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment